Application Process

Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Positions

We have four funded transplant hepatology fellowship positions. Applications for one or two year fellowship positions are accepted depending on the fellow’s needs and future career goals.

We do accept applications from Foreign Medical Graduates and do not require the ECFMG examinations, but in Canada we require a passing score on the TOEFL exams and the applicant’s education must be approved by the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario ( to qualify for an Educational License.

For further information on Fellowship training please visit the University of Toronto PGME site at

We will begin accepting applications for our Transplant Hepatology Fellowship on May 1st until June 30th 2020 for the July 1st 2021 start date.  Please forward your CV and three letters of reference at that time.


Event Date
Application May – June 2020
Interviews offers June – July 2020
Interviews July 2020

To apply for the Transplant Hepatology Fellowship, please send your CV, references and a cover letter to:

Ms. Danielle Arends
Administrative Coordinator
Liver Transplant Program
585 University Ave.
11 PMB 202
Toronto, ON
M5G 2N2
T: 416-340-4800 x6821
F: 416-340-3126 or

Application FAQ

I am a board-certified hepatologist from outside North America. Can I apply?

I am from outside North America. Do I require the USMLE or ECFMG examinations?
No, in Canada neither USMLE nor ECFMEs are required. Your training will be assessed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). For details see the CPSO’s Registration Applications and Forms page.

What licence will I require?
Upon acceptance to the Fellowship, you will need to obtain an Educational Licence from the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario ( ) This is an extensive process that takes over 6 months.

Are there any Visa requirements?
Non-Canadians will require a VISA to enter, work, and study in Canada.